2007 thus far
My 2007 so far has been very FULL – full of activities yet very fulfilling. These days I spend more hours in school than at home. Here’s what my life has been the last 2 weeks.
6.30am – Wake up
7.10am – Leave for school
7.30am – Teaching & learning (F4 English & Science, F5 Chemistry)
1.15pm – Meetings/Lunch/Class prep/marking
3.00pm – House practice/Sports prep
5.00pm – Netball practice
6.30pm – Leave for home
7.00pm – Dinner, wash up
8.30pm – Readings/Class prep/Town
10pm or 12 am – Fall asleep with lights on
2.00am – Wake up to find that lights are still on, then sleep again
It has been really tiring! Weekends are filled too, with church activities & time with Scott (I’m not complaining =) )
If you asked me a year ago, I’d be complaining about the busy-ness. I’d be lamenting the long hours I have to spend in school.
Yet, this year is different. I find fulfillment in keeping myself occupied with work. It’s really fulfilling to be able to contribute so much for the school & fulfilling to see students achieve their potential in sports.
Am I becoming a workaholic? Hmm… =)
Many of my colleagues are going through the same busy-ness as me. Sometimes I’m concerned that our health may give way. But thank God, He has kept me fine, though not with slight runny nose which only lasts for a few hours.
What irks me is the fact that many people still think that teachers are very free. Here are a few remarks that I’ve heard. It angers me.
“Wah! You must be very free!”
“Teachers work half day only. So nice!”
“I became a teacher because I didn’t want to be like my friend who works till 2am”
What they see is the official time we’re supposed to be in classrooms. What they don’t see is the extra hours we are in school (ours & other schools) for meetings, extra classes, sports, clubs & societies, book marking, class preparation, form filling, data entry, register update, files update, notice boards, etc.
So the next time you think teachers are very free, think twice & check your facts. =)
-------
Last Friday, my colleagues & I took the netball team for a district level competition. The team had been practicing everyday. It was a very memorable day for us as we came back as champions yet again! 3 years in a row!
I was jumping & screaming so much that day. We trashed the other schools in the early rounds & were only down twice in the final but we managed to come back & win by a 3 goal margin.
It was memorable also because of the bonding the team had. I can still remember all the fun & cheering & teasing we had that day. Too bad I forgot my camera. Ish!
“Marni, sayang bola, Marni. Aim! Shoot!”
“Guard!”
“Aim!! Shh!! (because our GA can’t take pressure)”
“Go TM (Tmn Molek)!!”
“One line (our strategy). Get ready!”
“TM, breathe, 1, 2, out.”
“Hold, hold…slow game…”
“Ok, mari, cikgu suapkan dadah (glucose powder)”
“Minum air power (glucose water)”
“Nanti lepas menang, semua kencing manis.”
“Woohoo!! Tiga tahun tau!!!”

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home