Thursday, August 31, 2006

Happy 49th Birthday, Malaysia

Many have questioned the call to raise the Malaysian flag only during the Merdeka month. They say raising the flag does not show patriotism. They say it is false patriotism.

True or false?

Last Sunday I was at the NECF Merdeka Prayer Rally in Johor Bahru. When I entered the church sanctuary & saw the Malaysian flag as well as the flags of our 14 states hung up on the stage wall, I felt so emotional.

Then during the march-in of flags, accompanied by the song “These Are The Days Of Elijah”, I couldn’t even sing. So overwhelmed by pride & love for the country.

I believe flags do build a sense of patriotism. I believe raising the flag is one way to show patriotism. I believe raising the flag can be the start of patriotism for many who don’t think much of Malaysia.

Flags do play a part in patriotism. If not, why do soldiers hold their flags high up & wave them at the battle field? If not, why do we raise the flag in schools every Monday?

But raising flags is not the end of patriotism. It should lead to a greater sense of appreciation of the freedom we enjoy. It should lead to more effort in contributing to the country in every area:
Social
Politic
Economy
Agriculture
Education
Infrastructure
Technology
Healthcare
Security & defense
Racial integration & unity
Transportation
Culture
Environment
Morals
Sports
NGOs
Banking

My wish for Malaysia is that:
its people work hard for the growth of the country.
its leaders implement good & fair laws to govern the country & wisdom in administering justice.
wealth is fairly distributed to the poor.
religious freedom will continue to prevail.
its people will be more civic minded.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home