Vanity
"Meaningless...meaningless...A chasing after the wind..." cries King Solomon.
Recently, I've been into a chase after better technology gadgets. Smart phones, laptops, cars, cameras, etc. Sometimes even surfing the net for reviews till late at night. But Ecclesiastes rings loud in my ears. It's a tug of war...between need & want...between can afford & better, more expensive ones... Sometimes it seem as though I work, get paid, to chase after these. Forever working to satisfy a thirst for material things? A chasing after the wind... When will I ever be contented with what I have?
And another...wisdom from my dad... "You say you're busy. You just started work & you'll be working for probably another 30 years. You better do something." Yeah...I better. If not, a big part of my life would be meaningless.
But, it's just so difficult to go against the tide, against my own will. Much more difficult to decide on something & follow through, to really get up & just do it. The spirit can sometimes be willing, but oh...the flesh so weak...
"For I have come to give you life, life in all its fullness."
What is life if it's not a life lived in Christ? What is home if it's not in heaven? What are treasures if they are not those that last?
Am reminded of one of my favourite qoutes. "He is not a fool who loses what he cannot keep, for that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot.

2 Comments:
My favourite speaker likes to use that quote also! He calls him Jim Idiot. And he repeats the story from time to time. Jim must be his favourite idiot :)
Join the fan club...
hi anne...nice to have another friend in blog-dom.
I AM BUSY - a common excuse for me to avoid committing in things, including certain church activities that I do not feel strongly about....
Thanks for reminding. Hey, keep in touch la...don't say u r busy.
Post a Comment
<< Home